Select from categories below:

Questions Regarding Public Entity Risk Pooling

Q. What is a Risk Pool?

A. Pools are not-for-profit, member-driven public organizations that were created to reduce and stabilize long-term insurance costs and ensure access to coverage and service needed to sustain key local government functions.

Participating public entities are co-owners of the pool, and pools are governed by elected member boards. The goal of a risk pool is to contain and stabilize long-term costs while reducing risks and increasing safety.

Back to Top

Q. What are the benefits of a Risk Pool?

A. When two or more public entities share risk, aggregate costs are less than the sum of the individual participating entities' costs. All members' contributions to a risk pool help pay claims for any one member’s claims. When pool members share knowledge and information, they learn to reduce the risk associated with their primary purpose - providing critical public services.

Nationally, pools save taxpayers billions of dollars. Several factors create savings:


  • Unlike commercial insurers, pools add no profit margin (typically at least 10-15 percent) to rates;
  • Pools spend less than commercial insurers on administration and middlemen;
  • Pools are often exempt from the taxes that commercial insurers pay; and,
  • Most importantly, pools emphasize helping members avoid and reduce claims and losses.

Back to Top

Q. Do many public entities participate in Risk Pools?

A. There are more than 90,000 public entities in the United States. The Association of Governmental Risk Pools (AGRiP) estimates that at least 80 percent of them participate in one or more pools.

Back to Top

Questions About PEP

Q. What is PEP?

A. The Public Entities Pool of Ohio (PEP) is a local government risk-sharing pool which was formed in 1987 for the primary purpose of providing public entities throughout the State of Ohio with an alternative to traditional insurance.  PEP is fully endorsed by the Ohio Parks & Recreation Association and the Association of Ohio Health Commissioners.  PEP differs philosophically from traditional insurance programs in that PEP is owned by its members and serves only its members’ interests.

Back to Top

Q. How many public entities are members of PEP?

A. More than 500 Ohio public entities, including cities, counties, villages, agricultural societies, and health and fire departments, participate in PEP.

Back to Top

Q. Can I work with my local insurance agent to participate in PEP?

A. Yes. Many PEP members work with their local agents while others work with PEP directly.

Back to Top

Q. Is PEP available to both large and small political subdivisons?

A. Yes. PEP has a wide variety of members, from one of the largest cities in Ohio to the very smallest of entities. PEP provides expanded coverage's and services to all of its members.

Back to Top

Q. Are risk management services available to PEP members?

A. Yes. PEP has risk management professionals to assist members in loss control for their public entities, along with an extensive Resource eLibrary and relevant human resources webinars.

Back to Top

Q. What is a Financial Stability Rating®?

A. Demotech, Inc. is a Columbus, Ohio financial analysis firm with over 25 years of experience in providing independent opinions on the financial stability of government risk pools.  Financial Stability Ratings® (FSRs) are a leading indicator of the financial stability of a company.  FSRs are based upon a series of quantitative ratios and considerations using statutory financial data and insurance accounting principles prescribed or permitted by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).  For 20 consecutive years, Demotech, Inc. has awarded the Public Entities Pool of Ohio with a Financial Stability Rating® of AAA (Unsurpassed), its highest rating.

Back to Top

Questions For PEP Members

Q. How do I file a claim?

A. To file a claim, please click on the File a Claim icon on the left hand side of the screen or click the link below.  There you will find Claim Reporting Instructions that will guide you through the claim submission process as well as the forms to be submitted for the various types of claims.

Back to Top

Q. How do I request a quote?

A. To request a quote, please call 1.800.367.4818, or click on Contact Us and a representative will respond to your inquiry.

Back to Top

Q. How do I request a certificate of coverage (other than for a vehicle)?

A. To request a certificate of coverage (other than for a vehicle), please contact your PEP representative, or call 1.800.367.4818, or click on Contact Us and a representative will respond to your inquiry.

Back to Top